The department of Biotechnology was established in the year 2002 with an annual intake of 60 students and has now produced four batches of graduates and eight batches of students who pursue bachelors in Biotechnology program. This Program is affiliated to Anna University and accredited by National Board of Accreditation, AICTE. The graduate program in biotechnology provides the students with theoretical and practical training in biological expertise that is currently used in the biotechnology industry.
The department has a well established library with advanced reference books and encyclopedias for varied biotechnology subjects which makes the department flourish as a centre of learning and research.
The department has signed Memorandum of Understanding with premier Industries and Institutions to foster research and development interest among the undergraduate students. To list a few would be the Capt.Srinivasa Murthi Drug Research Centre, Govt. of India, Central Leather Research Institute, Sai's Biosciences Pvt.Ltd, DNA research Centre and IGCAR, Govt. of India.
The department have facilitated faculty members and students to have professional body membership in Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA), Calcutta and DNA Research Centre (DNARC), Hyderabhad.
The department is blessed with faculty members with more than a decade of teaching and research exposure from various disciplines of biotechnology. A higher percentage of our students excel in higher studies in reputed Indian and foreign universities which are a pre-requisite for the field of biotechnology.
The Department of Biotechnology is inclined towards producing bioengineers with academic excellence coupled with professional qualities to satisfy global thirst.
• Impart quality education, transform technical knowledge into career opportunities for all Biotechnology students
• Establish a strong bridge connecting college and society by fostering technical education to future engineers
• Generate societal conscious technocrats in disseminating philosophy and methodologies towards community upliftment.
• Congregating acquired skills towards continuous learning and enable knowledge transfer into multi-functional arenas in order to become an efficient employee/successful entrepreneur.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
• PEO 01: Creating a successful professionals in the field of basic and applied biotechnology
• PEO 02: Providing a foundation in the field of biological and chemical sciences to brainstorm, analyze and trouble shoot issues related to life sciences.
• PEO 03: Connecting campus and society by fostering technical education to the outreach.
• PEO 04: Provide a cross-functional arena to work in a heterogeneous interdisciplinary group towards continuous learning and knowledge transfer.
• PEO 05: To prepare the students have successful career in industry and motivate for higher education.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSO)
• PSO1: Professional Skills: This programme will provide students with a solid foundation in the field of Biological Sciences and Chemical engineering enabling them to work on engineering platforms and applications in Biotechnology as per the requirement of Industries, and facilitating the students to pursue higher studies.
• PSO2: Problem-solving skills: This programme will assist the students to acquire fundamental and problem solving knowledge on subjects relevant to Biotechnology thereby encouraging them to understand emerging and advanced concepts in modern biology.
• PSO3: Successful Career and Entrepreneurship: Graduates of the program will have a strong successful career and entrepreneurial ability with the blend of inputs from basic science, engineering and technology, thereby enabling them to translate the technology and tools in various industries and/or institutes